Earlier this month, World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (W.A.T.C.H.) revealed its nominees for the “10 Worst Toys of 2019” — a list of the most dangerous and hazardous toys this holiday season.
SEE LIST BELOW: The 10 Most Dangerous Toys of 2019
The W.A.T.C.H. list includes the types of toy hazards available online, as well as in retail stores.
#10 – VIGA PULL ALONG CATERPILLAR
- Price: $20.54
- Manufacturer or Distributor: VIGA; Belvedere
- Retailer(s): Amazon.com, Toptoyusa.com
- Age Recommendation: “18m+”
- Warnings: None.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR STRANGULATION AND ENTANGLEMENT INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: Despite the industry’s standard requiring strings on playpen and crib toys to be less than 12 inches in length, manufacturers are still permitted to market “pull toys” such as the “Pull Along Caterpillar” with a cord measuring approximately 24 inches. No warnings are provided.
#9 – POWER RANGERS ELECTRONIC CHEETAH CLAW
- Price: $19.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Hasbro
- Retailer(s): Target, Target.com, Amazon.com, Hasbrotoyshop.com,
Bestbuy.com, Walmart.com, Galactictoys.com,
- Age Recommendation: “Age 5+”
- Warnings: “CAUTION: Do not hit or swing at people or animals. Use away from breakable objects”, and small parts warning.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR EYE AND FACIAL INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: The Power Rangers “BEAST Morphers” claws are made of rigid plastic. Five-year-olds are encouraged to use the “strength of the CHEETAH CLAW” to “take on…enemies!” The manufacturer simultaneously advises children not to “hit or swing at people.…”
#8 – POGO TRICK BOARD
- Price: $29.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Flybar, Inc.
- Retailer(s): Learning Express, Target.com, Walmart.com,
Amazon.com, Flybar.com, Kohls.com
- Age Recommendation: “Ages 6+”
- Warnings: “WARNING: Be safe. Always wear a helmet and other protective gear”, and other instructions/cautions
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR HEAD AND IMPACT INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: Children using this “Pogo Trick Board” with “high bounce ball” are provided “[d]ual handles for tricking out.” Despite the manufacturer’s warning to wear a helmet and other “protective gear”, only two of the three children shown on the packaging are wearing helmets, and none are using other protective items.
#7 – DIECAST SCHOOL BUS
- Price: $14.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Schylling
- Retailer(s): Magic Beans
- Age Recommendation: “Ages 3+”
- Warnings: “WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD – Small parts. Not for children under 3 years” (removable sticker only).
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR CHOKING INJURIES!
From W.A.T.C.H.: These miniature yellow school buses are sold with a “choking hazard” warning on a removable, stick-on label. The firm rubber tires, mounted on plastic wheels, can be removed, presenting the potential for a serious choking injury for oral age children.
#6 – ANSTOY ELECTRONIC TOY GUN
- Price: $59.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Anstoy
- Retailer(s): Amazon.com, PETXT
- Age Recommendation: “Ages 14+”
- Warnings: Instructions include: “When playing, please wear Goggles. Do not shoot people or animals at close range. Do not shoot fragile targets….” (box only).
HAZARD: REALISTIC TOY WEAPONRY
From W.A.T.C.H.: Given the numerous reported tragedies resulting from outfitting children with realistic toy weapons, there is simply no excuse for marketing “toys” such as this “submachine gun.” Existing regulations addressing the hazards are inadequate. Detailed replicas mistaken for lethal weaponry have resulted in numerous deaths over the years, and should never be sold as toys.
#5 – NICKELODEON FROZEN TREATS SLIME
- Price: $9.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: LaRose Industries, LLC, d/b/a Cra-Z-Art
- Retailer(s): Target, Target.com, Walmart.com
- Age Recommendation: “6+”
- Warnings: “WARNING: THIS SET CONTAINS CHEMICALS THAT MAY BE HARMFUL IF MISUSED. Read carton or individual containers carefully. Not to be used by children except under adult supervision”; “NOT REAL FOOD-DO NOT EAT (package), and other cautions/warnings inside box.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR CHEMICAL INGESTION AND IRRITATION INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: Nickelodeon’s colorful “slime” is offered to children with the appearance of some of their favorite frozen treats, including “mint chocolate chip”, “berry smoothie”, and “soft serve.” At the same time, the manufacturer issues a warning regarding “harmful chemicals” while advising: “NOT REAL FOOD—DO NOT EAT.”
#4 – YETI
- Price: $21.24
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Douglas Company, Inc.
- Retailer(s): Wellesley Toy Shop, Target.com, eBay.com,
Walmart.com, Douglascuddletoy.com, Amazon.com
- Age Recommendation: “For 24 Months & Up” (throw-away tag only).
- Warnings: None.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR INGESTION/ASPIRATION INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: This soft, ape-like “Yeti” creature is sold for oral-age children. The “cuddle” toy has long, fiber-like hair that may not be adequately rooted, such that pulling with minimum effort could lead to removal. Once separated from the toy, the hair presents the potential for ingestion or aspiration injuries. This hazard is not referenced anywhere on the product or product tags.
#3 – BUNCHEMS BUNCH’N BUILD
- Price: $16.58
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Spin Master LTD.
- Retailer(s): Amazon.com, Michael’s, Michaels.com, Walmart.com,
- Age Recommendation: “4+”
- Warnings: “CAUTION: Keep away from hair. May become entangled. Keep away from pets”; “WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD—Small parts. Not intended for children under 3 years”; and other warnings/cautions on package and package inserts.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR HAIR ENTANGLEMENT AND CHOKING!
From W.A.T.C.H: “Bunchems” are multi-colored activity balls that are meant to stick together when children engage in building activities. There have been report of the plastic, connective toys becoming ensnared in children’s hair. The manufacturer itself provides numerous warnings related to this hazard, including a large, bright orange box insert stating in part: “CAUTION: KEEP AWAY FROM HAIR. During play, tie hair back to avoid entanglement. Keep away from pets.…”
#2 – SPIKE THE FINE MOTOR HEDGEHOG
- Price: $17.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Learning Resources, Inc.
- Retailer(s): Magic Beans, Kohls.com, Amazon.com, eBay.com,
- Age Recommendation: “18+ Months”
- Warnings: None.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR INGESTION AND CHOKING INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: This “hedgehog”, sold for oral-age children as young as 18 months old, comes with twelve removable, rigid-plastic “quills” measuring approximately 3 ½ inches long. The quills can potentially be mouthed and occlude a child’s airway.
#1 – NERF ULTRA ONE
- Price: $49.99
- Manufacturer or Distributor: Hasbro
- Retailer(s): Target.com, Walmart.com, Hasbro.com
- Age Recommendation: “AGES 8+”
- Warnings: “CAUTION: Do not aim at eyes or face. TO AVOID INJURY: Use only with official NERF darts….”, and other cautions/warnings.
HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR EYE INJURIES
From W.A.T.C.H.: The manufacturer of this dart “blaster” boasts that the ammunition “FIRES UP TO 120 FT” with “POWERFUL SPEED” making this the “FARTHEST FLYING NERF DART. EVER.” The darts provided can shoot with enough force to potentially cause eye injuries. Of note at least one retailer sells this “motorized” toy weapon alongside “Nerf Battle Goggles, a “toy” which “…does not provide protection.”
Photo courtesy of: W.A.T.C.H
Follow us on The016.com, the social network for Worcester and you!
The Leary Firefighters Foundation has release the third part of a five-part series titled “Worcester 6 Remembered” today.
CrimeReports.com is the nation’s largest collection of law enforcement agencies committed to transparency, public access, and citizen engagement.The Worcester Police Department [WPD] uses crime reports and the interactive crime map to give residents access to...
The Worcester Police Dept. is encouraging residents to attend their neighborhood watch meetings to stay up-to-date on what’s happening in their neighborhoods and to share any concerns or questions they may have. There are 52 Neighborhood Watch Groups in...