Meeting for Proposed Marijuana Retailer Tonight in Worcester
A public hearing for a marijuana retail establishment to open at 1023 Southbridge St. is being held tonight at the Hilton Garden Inn in downtown Worcester.
The marijuana retailer Cultivate is hoping to open a second location in Worcester near Holy Cross, Polar Beverages, and across the street from the popular Herbie’s restaurant.
The meeting will take place at 6 PM.
Cultivate currently operates a medical marijuana dispensary in Leicester.
Hazardous Household Waste Day Scheduled for Oct. 12
The DPW’s next Hazardous Household Waste Day is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12.
Worcester residents can schedule a drop-off of hazardous waste by calling 508-929-1300 or by going online here.
For a list of materials you can and can’t drop off, please click here.
Library Foundation to Hold Annual Meeting Next Week
The Worcester Public Library Foundation will hold their Annual Meeting on Thursday, Sept. 19 from 6 PM to 7:30 PM at the Worcester Public Library, 3 Salem Sq.
The event will begin with a brief business meeting, which will include the President’s Report; Nominating Report, including the approval of new board members; Report on the State of the Foundation; Report on the State of the Library; and comments by City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr.
Becker College Receives $1M for Digital Learning Center
On Monday, Becker College announced that the school has received $1 million from American Student Assistance® (ASA) to create the ASA Center for Digital Learning Models at Becker.
Located right on campus, the ASA Center is a research center established jointly by ASA and Becker to advance knowledge and understanding around the use and efficacy of interactive media tools as a platform for young students to use for self-discovery and career exploration.
The goals of the ASA Center include:
- Promote thought leadership in the areas of career exploration and higher education preparedness.
- Pioneer significant advances in the digital learning tool space.
- Become a driving force for success by connecting with a wide array of college students, including first generation, and applying key indicators and predictors of success that these students have experienced to target audiences.
- Be a nexus and clearinghouse of academic and practical interactive media development for digital learning products and activities such as colloquia, symposia, and conferences.
- Leverage the existing student population at Becker College, including partners (e.g. Worcester Public Schools), to hold focus groups around new product designs.
- Establish and maintain long-term sustainable, mutually beneficial partnerships across the campus and between the campus and the community.
Massachusetts Ranked in Top 10 Happiest States
On Monday, the personal-finance website WalletHub released its report on 2019’s Happiest States in America and ranked Massachusetts #7 overall.
To determine where Americans have the highest satisfaction with life, WalletHub compared the 50 states across 31 key indicators of happiness including emotional health to income level to sports participation rate.
Happiness in Massachusetts (1=Happiest; 25=Avg.)
- 15th – % of Depressed Adults
- 22nd – Adequate-Sleep Rate
- 3rd – Suicide Rate
- 4th – Number of Work Hours
- 24th – Volunteer Rate
- 12th – Separation & Divorce Rate
- 7th – Income Growth
- 9th – Safety
To see how MA compared to the other 49 states, scroll the map below:
Follow us on The016.com, the social network for Worcester and you!
This weekend marks the end of May! Savor the last days of the month by trying new activities! Check out social distancing events in the city or tune into a Zoom meeting to see what’s going on! ThisWeekinWorcester.com has an exciting list of opportunities to jazz up...
A 39 year old man from Oklahoma driving a vehicle with an expired registration was arrested at a rest stop in Sturbridge on weapons and drug charges.
New claims for Unemployment Insurance in Massachusetts dropped slightly in the week ending May 16 when compared to the previous week.