Nine student nominated teachers from Central Massachusetts will take the field as coaches for the Worcester Bravehearts on its Teacher Appreciation Night, June 17.
Throughout May the Bravehearts ran an online contest asking students to nominate the teacher or other school employee of their choice for one of nine coaching positions available. 54 individuals were nominated.��
The list of honorees were chosen based on the most compelling nomination entries. The leading nominee was retiring teacher David Mawson of Doherty Memorial High School who received 16 separate nominations.
The nine selected to be a teacher-coach of the Bravehearts for the game are:
- Bob Bartelson – Medway High School
- Mary Anne Bryant – Marion E. Zeh Elementary School (Northboro)
- Quinn Cavaco – Fallbrook Elementary School (Leominster)
- Rachael Fletcher – Ayer-Shirley Middle School
- David Mawson – Doherty Memorial High School (Worcester)
- Gina Nieves – Bartlett High School (Webster)
- Sean Reid – Auburn Middle School
- Lorraine Sullivan – Boylston Public Schools
- David Vilandre – St. Peter Marian High School (Worcester)
Each honoree will be in full Bravehearts uniform will serve as first base coach for a single inning. Each will also wear a microphone while coaching to capture the experience as well as any conversations that may occur with players.
Tickets are now on sale at worcesterbravehearts.com.
Follow us on The016.com, the social network for Worcester and you!
Governor Charlie Baker’s office announced the launch of free COVID-19 testing sites in eight communities from July 10 to to August 14.
The Worcester Division of Public Health and the Department of Inspectional Services because of laboratory testing showing high levels of E. Coli.
Former accountant for the town of Uxbridge, Justin Cole, 38, of Harvard, is facing 16 counts for various crimes related to the theft of $729,000 over a five-year period. According to Attorney General Maura Healey, the funds were stolen from the towns of Uxbridge and...