WORCESTER – On Monday, City Manager Edward M. Augustus, Jr. announced the members of the city’s Task Force for Sustaining Housing First Solutions.
Beginning this month and going through June 2018, the Task Force will do an in-depth examination of the city’s community needs and how it can better address adult chronic homelessness. The goal of the Task Force is to come up with a plan for permanent supportive housing within the City of Worcester.
“We must work to ensure that everyone in our community, regardless of socioeconomic status, has the ability to reach their full potential,” Augustus said. “This cannot be achieved without safe, stable housing.”
The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts has provided funding to the Task Force to hire Barbara Poppe, the founder of Barbara Poppe and Associates and the former executive director of the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness, as a consultant.
Poppe is a nationally recognized expert on homelessness and results-driven private-public partnerships.
The Task Force will host two public forum listening sessions on Wednesday, March 21 from 5 PM to 6:30 PM. at the Worcester Senior Center and Wednesday, June 13 from 5 PM to 6:30 PM at the Worcester Public Library. The Task Force has also launched a website where the public can submit comments and questions: www.worcesterma.gov/hhs/housing-first.
Task Force Members:
- City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr. – (Chair)
- Jan Yost, EdD – President and CEO, The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts (Chairperson, Leadership Team)
- Grace Carmark – Executive Director, Central Massachusetts Housing Alliance (Data Committee Chair)
- Jim Cuddy – Executive Director, South Middlesex Opportunity Council (Housing Committee Chair)
- John Ford – Consultant, Former Assistant Secretary, Health & Human Services (Support Services Committee Chair)
- Katherine Calano – Homeless Projects Manager, City of Worcester (Leadership Team & Staff)
- Mattie Castiel, MD – Commissioner of Health & Human Services, City of Worcester (Leadership Team)
- Joe Finn – Executive Director, Massachusetts Housing & Shelter Alliance (Leadership Team)
- Sharon Krefetz, PhD – Professor of Political Science/Urban Development, Clark University (retired)
- Rev. Bob Bachelder – Minister and President, Worcester Area Mission Society
- Brian Bickford – Team Leader, PATH Homeless & Outreach Services
- Alex Corrales – Executive Director, Worcester Housing Authority
- Patrick DiGregorio – Manager of Supportive Housing Services, Veterans, Inc.
- David Fort, Chairman, Worcester Board of Health
- Eric Garcia, MD – Medical Director, Community Healthlink Homeless Outreach & Advocacy Program
- Nicole Gagne – President and CEO, Community Healthlink
- Tim Garvin – President and CEO, United Way of Central Massachusetts
- Robyn Kennedy – Associate Executive Director, YWCA of Central Massachusetts
- Monica Lowell – Vice President, Department of Community Relations, UMass Memorial Health Care
- Konstantina Lukes – Chair, Public Service & Transportation Committee, Worcester City Council
- Father John Madden – Pastor, St. John’s Catholic Church, Hotel Grace – overflow shelter
- Dominic Marcigliano – CEO, Worcester Community Housing Resources
- David McMahon – Co-Executive Director, Dismas House
- Doug Quattrochi – Executive Director, MassLandlords Association
- Sarai Rivera – Chair, Public Health & Human Services Committee, Worcester City Council
- Michelle Smith – Executive Director, AIDS Project Worcester
- Linn Torto – Executive Director, Massachusetts Interagency Council of Homelessness
- Linda Weinreb – Vice President and Medical Director, Medicaid, Fallon Health Accountable Care Organization