Women’s Rowing Coach Patrick Diggins has announced his retirement from Holy Cross.
Diggins was injured in the automobile accident while travelling with the team in Vero Beach, Florida on January 15. Rower Grace Rett, a world-record holder, was killed in the crash and 6 other students were seriously injured. Diggins was hospitalized for more than a week.
After rowing at St. Johns High School and Holy Cross, Diggins became an assistant coach of the team in 1986. He was promoted to head coach in 1987 and program director in 2002.
The list of accomplishments of Diggins’ team over the years include:
- Medaling six times at the New England Championships
- Six top-3 finishes at the Patriot League Championships
- Six conference titles
- Winning the Head of the Charles Regatta in 1993
- Four Worcester City Championships
- ECAC National Invitational Championship in 2002
- New England Women’s Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2002.
Men’s Rowing head coach Jim Barr has been named the interim Women’s Head Coach for the upcoming season starting April 4. Holy Cross will conduct a national search for a new women’s coach after the upcoming season .