AUBURN - An underground propane leak on Tuesday, July 13, at Home Depot at 779 Washington Street in Auburn, forced the evacuation of the store.
Osterman Gas lit a controlled burn visible from the immediate area. The fire burned overnight until the propane tank exhausted its supply.
According to the Auburn Fire Department, there was no immediate threat to the area.
BJ’s Wholesale Club remained open during the incident with a modified traffic plan.
Home Depot is closed for the night and reopened on Wednesday morning. The Auburn Fire Department reported around 7 AM that crews cleared the area and home depot was open.
The scene at #AuburnHomeDepot is secure. The controlled burn is expected to last until 2:00 a.m. @auburnmassfire and Osterman Gas are on scene for the duration. This is the last post on this incident for the night. #AuburnMA #AuburnHomeDepotLPG pic.twitter.com/RZESW4tMEk
— Auburn Fire Rescue (@auburnmassfire) July 13, 2021
Note: This story was originally published on Tuesday, July 13 at 9:13 PM and updated at 7:57 AM on Wednesday, July 14, to reflect the reopening of the store.
Image Courtesy of Auburn Fire Department