WORCESTER – Very serious and ongoing negotiations are currently taking place between the City of Worcester and the Pawtucket Red Sox ownership group. 

City of Worcester Currently in 'Serious Negotiations' with PawSox 1

“There are serious and substantive conversations taking place and the Chamber fully supports that. We are happy to play a role in those conversations as we explore not just to bring baseball and a ballpark to Worcester, but significant jobs and tax-base expansion to the city,” Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce President Timothy P. Murray said in a phone interview on Wednesday, Oct. 18.

Although Murray couldn’t speak to any numbers in a possible deal, according to another source familiar with the negotiations, the City of Worcester and the Pawtucket Red Sox ownership group are working on an agreement to relocate the team to Worcester’s Canal District and construct a new baseball stadium — reportedly a $72 million project.

The source also told ThisWeekinWorcester.com that the team will be called the Worcester Red Sox.

Early estimates, according to a source, are the state of Massachusetts and the City of Worcester will be responsible for 72 percent of the cost of constructing the stadium [nearly $52 million]. A breakdown of that cost and how it would be covered by city and state was unavailable. The PawSox ownership group – led by co-owner Larry Lucchino – wouldcover the remaining 28 percent under these terms. 

When reached for comment on Wednesday, City Manager Edward M. Augustus, Jr. said, “We continue to have conversations with the PawSox team and that’s where we stand.”

Augustus could not comment further as negotiations remain ongoing.

City of Worcester Currently in 'Serious Negotiations' with PawSox 2

According to a source, representatives from the City of Worcester and Wyman-Gordon have met recently to negotiate the takeover of a parcel of land [see map below] owned by Wyman-Gordon off Madison St. and Washington St near Kelley Square. 

That parcel of land can be taken under eminent domain by the City of Worcester and the Worcester Redevelopment Authority.

A developer with experience in constructing baseball stadiums has been in Worcester recently to look at the space, and according to sources, the view from home plate will be the spires of Union Station. The view into left field will be facing towards Southbridge St. with the SkyMark Tower and the Worcester Plaza buildings on the horizon. The stadium will hold at least 10,000 seats, per minor league baseball rules.

Return to ThisWeekinWorcester.com for further coverage and updates on this developing story.

Facebook Comments

Author