WORCESTER – With October being National Disability Employment Awareness Month and the average monthly Social Security disability benefit at only $1,065.73, barely enough to keep an individual out of poverty, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on 2018’s Best & Worst Cities for People with Disabilities.
WalletHub compared more than 180 U.S. cities across 31 key indicators of disability-friendliness. The data set ranges from wheelchair-accessible facilities per capita to rate of workers with disabilities to quality of public hospital system.
According to the report, Worcester ranks #173 of the 180 cities studied.
Living with a Disability in Worcester (1=Best; 91=Avg.)
- 150th – Employment Rate for People with Disabilities
- 171st – % of People with Disabilities in Poverty
- 167th – Cost of Doctor Visit
- 152nd – Annual Cost of In-Home Services
- 32nd – % of People with Disabilities
- 170th – Family Doctors & General Practitioners per Capita
- 177th – Median Earnings for People with Disabilities