A new study ranked Worcester among the top 20 metro areas in the country in 2023 for professionals in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, or STEM.
The new study from the data experts at WalletHub used 21 metrics in three categories, professional opportunities, STEM friendliness and quality of life to compile a total score from one to 100.
Worcester, ranked 13th overall, saw its rank for STEM friendliness (6th) drive its overall rating. It ranked 48th for professional opportunities and 37th for quality of life.
The metrics in the STEM friendliness category are:
- Mathematics Performance in stadardized testing of students
- Number of Best Engineering Schools
- Quality of Engineering Universities
- Disparity of Women vs. Men in STEM Occupations
- Disparity of Women vs. Men in STEM Field of Degree
- Research & Development (R&D) Spending & Intensity
- Invention Patents per Capita
Boston ranked third overall overall in the study, while Springfield ranked 24th. Other New England cities included in the study are Hartford (17th), Providence (46th) and New Haven (49th).